Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Blueberry Streusel Muffins - Hit or Miss Recipes



I had a package of blueberries in the refrigerator that either needed to be eaten or baked into something so I went searching for a blueberry muffin recipe online.  I found one on www.allrecipes.com 

I altered it ever so slightly by adding a little more milk because the batter came out really thick and sticky. With this recipe, you're supposed to end up with 12 muffins but I got 18.  Also, even though I thought I was being pretty liberal with the Streusel in each cup, I found had too much so I threw some of that into the leftover batter as well to sweeten it a little more.

1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter or margine (I don't like to use margarine)
1 egg, beaten
2-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1-1/4 cup milk

Streusel:
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup butter

In a mixing bowl, cream sugar and butter. Add egg; mix well.  In another bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with milk.  Stir in vanilla.  Fold in blueberries.
Fill 12 greased or paper-lined muffin cups 2/3 full.  In another bowl, combine sugar, flour, and cinnamon; cut in butter until crumbly. I ended up adding a few pinches of flour because the Streusel wasn't cumbly enough.

Sprinkle over muffins.  Bake at 375 degrees F for 25-30 minutes or until browned.

This recipe didn't call for a whole lot of butter in the batter so the muffins didn't really have that rich buttery flavor that I expected.  I guess it's not such a bad thing calorie-wise though.  Still, I'd like something a bit more flavorful.  Like most of you who bake or cook, finding the best recipes online is a hit or miss thing.  Sometimes you need to tweak them to suit your own tastes.  I think if I used this recipe again, I'd use brown sugar instead of white sugar for the Streusel and maybe use more vanilla flavoring or sugar for the dough.  Also, next time I'm going to use oven mitts because I ended up burning myself on the oven door. Ouch!

Just as I was writing this blog post I Googled "Blueberry Streusel Muffins" and found another recipe on laurasbestrecipes.com that looks a little more appealing.  This recipe calls for using yogurt for the dough and rolled oats and brown sugar for the Streusel.  Yum!  I'm definitely going to give it a try!

3 comments:

  1. Love this. And the photo is fantastic.

    I made some muffins with Greek yogurt and they turned out really well, so I think you might really like the other recipe that you found.

    Also, I just found a recipe for streusel that involved brown sugar mixed with flour, butter, etc., then frozen in a disk and grated onto the dessert (it was a cake) - I'm going to try this technique next time I make something that calls for streusel goodness.

    Thanks for the recipe and post!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have made muffins with yogurt they were very moist. Sour cream works well in some muffins too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Scarletta, Nulaanne. I think I'm definitely going to try using yogurt next time. I like the idea of freezing the brown sugar and grating it too. So many things to bake and try!

    ReplyDelete