Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Sweet Cornbread

Oh so delicious cornbread!
I found this recipe back in 2005 on Nancyskitchen.com and loved it ever since because it satiated my craving for something sweet and fulfilled my ongoing lust for bread.  It's also quick and easy to make. You can also add other ingredients to suit your taste too.  One time I baked it with creamed corn and diced green chilies (about 1/4 cup of each). The combination of the corn and spiciness of the green chili gives it a uniquely southwestern flavor...kind of reminds me a little of green chili/cheese corn tamales.  One of these days I'm going to throw in little cheddar cheese too to see how that tastes.  But for now, let's bake it plain and simple. You can experiment later.

Ingredients:
2/3 cup butter, softened
1-1/4 cups sugar
3 eggs
1-2/3 cups milk
2-1/2 cups flour 
1 cup of yellow cornmeal
4-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Lightly grease a 13" x 9" x 2" in baking pan.

In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar.  In small bowl, beat eggs and milk together. In a medium sized bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, and salt.  I know, I know...this is a lot of bowls to wash afterwards but that's OK; the end product will be worth the cleanup.

Add egg/milk to creamed butter mixture until well combined (I used an electric hand mixer). Stir in dry ingredients.  Mix well.  Pour batter into greased baking pan.

Bake for 22-27 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.  Using a cold stick of butter, run it over the top of the hot cornbread to add a nice buttery flavor.  Serve warm and enjoy!

Don't forget to hug the baker!



2 comments:

  1. My mother makes a corn casserole similar to this recipe with cream corn and cheese added. It's SO good. And the "Hug The Baker" photo is uber cute... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Corn casserole sounds yummy. I love the sweet taste and also the textures too. I'm glad you like the little "hug the baker bear." All bakers and cooks should get a hug for their efforts! lol

    ReplyDelete