Saturday, April 23, 2011

How to Make Finadene - Guamanian Hot Sauce

I've mentioned before that my father is from Guam (Chamorro) and rice was a staple at our dinner table just as potatoes are for most. Along with it, my mother made various hot sauces to put on the rice for added flavor. One of them is finadene (fin-ah-den-ee).  It's spicy, a little salty, tart and is delicious on white rice. I'd been craving it lately so I thought I'd make some and share the recipe with you.  

I guarantee you that after you make this sauce you will NEVER eat plain white rice without it again!  

Ingredients:
8 chopped green onions
2 sliced jalapeno peppers
2 sliced yellow chilies
1 medium lemon (squeezed)
1/2 cup Kikoman soy sauce
2-1/4 cups water
1 diced tomato (optional)

Chop the green onions.

Slice the peppers.  If you like things REALLY HOT, add more jalapenos.

Combine the lemon juice, soy sauce, and water in a large glass jar.  Add the peppers and green onions.  Refrigerate and allow to set for a couple of hours before serving. The longer the mixture sets, the hotter it will be because the soy sauce and onions will take in the spiciness of the jalapenos.


Using a small spoon, pour bits of the onion and sauce over your rice. Throw on some of those jalapenos too, if you're brave!  I also like to put the finadene on chicken and use it to dip sushi into as well.  

I think you're going to get hooked on this stuff because it really does add a lot of flavor to anything you put it on! 

The yellow vegetable in the dish above is pickled daikon radish. It's also a part of a sauce (condiment) that you can add to rice if you like things TART and HOT. You can find the recipe here on my blog.

Enjoy!!


3 comments:

  1. So, here I am, browsing through this interesting-looking food blog, and was nearly knocked off my chair when I saw a recipe for fina'denne'!

    Looking forward to trying out all these yummy recipes!

    P.S. - Jalapenos are cool, but nothing beats some donne' sali. Have you tried ghost peppers in your fina'denne'?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I grow ghost peppers in Hawaii and yes, they are awesome in Finadene.

      Delete
  2. Hi April!
    First thanks for visiting my blog. I've never tried ghost peppers but have heard that they are HOT! I'll have to use some when I make fina' denne. Have you ever made pickled radish? It's pretty good too. The recipe is on my blog.

    Do you have any recipes you'd like to share? If so, email me :-)
    Rossan

    ReplyDelete