Saturday, February 4, 2012

Low Calorie Crock Pot Turkey Chili With Tomatillos


Ever notice that some low calorie foods are just kind of "eh?" That's pretty much been my experience.  The foods look good in the pictures but once you put a fork/spoon full of said low calorie food into your mouth, your taste buds question your sanity and your lips zip shut.  I have good news. This recipe is low calorie (approximately 250 calories per 1-1/3 cup) but TASTE and SPICINESS are not compromised.  As a matter of fact this chili has a bit of a kick to it due to the Pato sauce (shown below), which I love using when making salsa, taco meat, and sopa (Mexican soup).
You can find Pato sauce in the ethnic foods area of most grocery stores.

Recipe:

2 lbs ground turkey
1 onion, chopped
6 tomatillos, diced (remove husks & rinse before dicing)
1 can chicken broth (12-14 oz) 
2 (14-1/2 oz) can diced tomatoes (do not drain)
1 (15 oz) can pinto beans, drained
1 can of Pato sauce (mexican hot sauce)
3 tbsp chili pepper (powder)
1 tbsp ground cumin
2 tsp dried oregano
3/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder (or garlic salt) (or to taste)
1-1/2 tbsp sugar

Garnish with:
cilantro, finely chopped
green onions, chopped'
cheddar cheese

Coat a large nonstick frying pan with cooking spray.  Brown turkey, along with onions.  Add garlic salt and black pepper.  

Dice tomatillos.

Add cooked meat to crock pot (including juices), along with all the other ingredients.  Stir.  Cook on "high" for 4 hrs.

The chili is best served the same day but keeps well and is great to take to work for lunch!




6 comments:

  1. I finally broke open the factory seal on the crock pot I got for Christmas(2 years ago!)and tried your recipe! It tasted awesome, especially the tomatillos!I look forward to future crock pot recipes from you.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another winning recipe! Lots of flavor and a great way to use the tomatillos I had sitting around. I'm thinking about cooking my way through your entire blog. And your photos are awesome. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad that you wrote me about this recipe. It really is a good one. I've made it several times. You should try the nutella filled sugar cookie recipe! They're not low fat but are really good...if you don't want to use nutella, you could probably fill it with something else like a Hershey's kiss or thin mint...the possibilities are endless :-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was trying to decide between the Nutella filled sugar cookies and the black and white cookies. Nutella it is! Thanks for the suggestion:-D

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is my favorite recipe ever! I make it all the time now :) Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just bought my first tomatillos at our local farmers market...how wonderful to have come across ths recipe! In time for the first of our midwest autumn weather. Than you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete