Tuesday, April 12, 2011

How to Make A Chicken Salad Sandwich



One of my favorite sandwiches is chicken salad.  Every time I go to a sandwich shop, that is what I order. Ask me if I ever make it at home? Not so much. I think it's because when I make it myself it never tastes as good as when someone else does; probably because I just grab a few chunks of chicken and slather some mayonnaise on a piece of bread and that's it.  Today I decided to use the same ingredients that the sandwich shops use and lo and behold, I finally made the kind of sandwich that even I can love.  

I know this recipe is no big deal but sometimes the simple things in life are the most pleasurable! 

Ingredients:
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/4 cup chopped dried cranberries
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
2 cups diced chicken (cooked)
5 tablespoons mayonnaise



I love raw celery, especially with a little peanut butter smeared on it.  This time though, I'm going to chop some up; 1/2 cup's worth.

Chop up the dried cranberries into small pieces. Make sure that they're smaller than the celery and walnut pieces.  You don't want the sweetness of the cranberries to overpower the other flavors in the sandwich.


Finally, in a small bowl; add the cranberries, walnuts, celery, and chicken.  Stir in the mayonnaise until the mixture is thoroughly combined.  Spread the chicken salad on a couple of slices multi-grain bread and add a few leaves of raw spinach to finish the sandwich.  Yum...enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. Ooooh, cranberries, a nice touch. Almost seems like it would make the sandwich a tiny bit of a flashback to Thanksgiving or something, which I count as a total bonus. I never make chicken salad at home either, although I love it. I might need to break that habit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this - especially the photo of you mixing the salad. The bread looks so good. And simple is definitely the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I HAVE POTLUCK TWO DAYS IN A ROW, AND I PLAN ON MAKING THIS FOR BOTH, SOUNDS REALLY GOOD. THANKS FOR THE IDEAL, SINCERELY CA.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spread the insides of a whole-wheat sandwich bun with mayonnaise or reduced-fat mayonnaise and Dijon mustard.

    ReplyDelete