Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Super Simple Tasty Cajun Peas & Beans


Raw goodness just waiting to be cooked.
This recipe comes from my friend Anna who made it recently for a work potluck.  I haven't actually tried cooking it yet but did get a bowlful when she brought it in.  The soup was flavorful and had quite a kick to it thanks to the Cajun seasoning.  Once I picked out all the carrots from my bowl I loved it (I don't like cooked carrots).    

1 Green Pepper, coarsely chopped
1 bag of Butternut Squash (16 oz)
2 Carrots, sliced (optional if you're me)
1 Can of Black-eyed Peas (14.5 oz)
1 Can of Butter Beans (14.5 oz)
1 Can Vegetable Broth (14 oz)
2 Cloves of Garlic, finely chopped
2 tsp Cajun Seasoning


Louisiana Brand Cajun Seasoning
Place all ingredients in a crock pot and cook on high for 5 hours, or around 7 hours on low.  Check liquid level periodically.  Add a bit of water if necessary.  That's it! How easy is that?

I wish I would have taken a photo of the soup when it was cooked so you could see it. Guess I'll have to make it soon...and I will!

For those of you who made a New Year's resolution to lose weight (like me) and want something tasty for lunch but low in calories, this is the way to go!

Where's the beef?
This is Riley.  He belongs to Anna who contributed this great tasting recipe.  Thanks for sharing!

1 comment:

  1. Looks great. I'm going to have to keep checking back here for dinner ideas!
    - Deanna

    ReplyDelete